Skip to main content

Why you should not blame Jonathan

 

Buba Galadima, a member of the Peoples Democratic Party, has blamed the ex President of Nigeria, Dr Goodluck Jonathan for not going to court after conceding defeat to Mr Mohammed Buhari.

He went on to say that  Mr Jonathan shot himself in the foot for that action.

Comparing Dr Jonathan and his principal Alhaji Atiku Abubakar, he said that if there is honest and competent Justice system, his candidate will coast home to glory.

Below are the reasons why Dr Jonathan couldn't go to court:

“I always say that I reformed the democratic process as President in order to consolidate democracy in Nigeria and the sub-region,” he said. “I conceded defeat without a fight because I wanted to set a standard for our democracy, going forward.

“My aim then was to change the narrative and prove that election related litigations should no longer define Nigeria’s democracy. People must not always go to court and obtain judgments before elections in Nigeria are declared complete.

“We don’t get to hear about such court cases in mature democracies. I wanted us to get to that point in our democratic experience. I thought that it won’t be out of place if we got to that stage where those who lost elections will be able to congratulate those who won.”

Above all, what that decision did for me and the nation was to avert a looming crisis. Given the tension in the land at that time, I was deeply contemplative of what would have happened if we had let our nation, the biggest black nation on earth, slide into anarchy, because of contestations for power. What then would have happened to our citizens, Nigeria’s economy and the investments driving its growth?
“I was convinced that the implication for peace and the economy of the sub-region and the rest of the continent, couldn’t have spelled anything else but doom.

“Recall that after the 2011 Presidential election, which most observers adjudged transparent, with my victory generally seen to have been well deserved, crisis and conflicts still surfaced that claimed the lives of many of our compatriots, and property worth billions of naira destroyed.
“I am always saddened each time I remember that among those who died needlessly then were 10 youths undergoing the compulsory one-year national service, who unfortunately got killed in a state where I secured only 16 per cent of votes.
“As the President, I always had at the back of my mind that it was my responsibility to protect the assets of Nigerians and non-Nigerians operating in our economy. These were committed investors who had trusted our government with their investments, to be able to provide jobs and improve the lives of our people.

The steps I took while in office and during and after the 2015 elections were meant to secure our country, consolidate our democracy and protect those investments. I thank God that I was able to do what I did despite the irresistible force of power, and the usual worries about the uncertain fate that might befall a leader upon leaving office, especially in Africa.”

Well, If Mr Jonathan had known that Mr Buhari was going to toe a part of Rascality, he would had a rethink on how he never tried other workable options. 

And Mr Galadima should take the advice of not blaming Mr GEJ, because Mr Galadima was in the ship of the APC.

The Authenticity of this news can be verified HERE

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

[video] China releases a cartoon to mock US over it's accusations

China releases a bizarre Lego-like cartoon, mocking US COVID-19 response after the communist country has been criticized by the US president Donald Trump, for allegedly poor handling of the health crisis.  While China has reported no fatalities from the virus in the country over the past week, the white House has accused China of concealing vital data about the pandemic during it's initial stage, and therefore ordered an investigation into reports that COVID-19 had been caused by an accident at Wuhan institute of virology.  In a short video clip posted by China's official news agency Xinhua, the Chinese slammed the accusation against them, claiming that the US was inconsistent at various stages of the pandemic. Once Upon a Virus, #China responds to the #USA with a cartoon. Thank you @XHNews pic.twitter.com/KcMkvzHilW — tim anderson (@timand2037) April 30, 2020

Reasons why female youth corp members leave Abuja after their service year

To so many yet to serve Youth corp members who have not visited Abuja before, FCT is to them, the city which will help to shape their life, if they are by chance, posted to Abuja, for a compulsory 1 year National youth service.  Abuja, which was projected to contain maximum of 4 million people, was divided into four phases, and 16 cadastral zones, in the original city master plan, which was designed by the city builders in 1979.  Unlike the city of Lagos which was the Nigerian capital before December 12,1991, when the capital was moved to Aso Rock, by the then military general, Ibrahim Badamosun Babangida, Abuja is a planned city. And it is not hard to see. Although, Abuja is the kind of place where you can by chance meet any of the who is who of the country, and of course the chances of meeting any of the 109 Senators, or the 360 House of Representatives members, or important members of the diplomatic community are always high, if you live in the city's center, or y...

100 Level Uniport student commits suicide due to depression

A 100 level Chemical Engineering student of the University of Port-Harcourt, identified as Hikmat Gbadamosi, has died in a circumstance suspected to be suicide.  Hilbert has been battling with a medical condition since birth, which causes her pain. It is assumed by her friends  that as a result of this terminal illness, Hikmat retorted to taking her own life, by consuming poisonous substance. Instablog reports.  Her friends who discovered her lifeless body, stated that her absence in the test they had a day before, prompted them to mobilize and go to her lodge, where her corpse was found.